☎️ Contact information
💻 Work experience
Head of People (Contract)
Qsic, Melbourne – December 2020 to February 2021
I got Qsic set up with an efficient, candidate-friendly hiring process; set up and rolled out applicant tracking, people ops, and onboarding systems; and developed policies including a code of conduct, employee handbook, remote working policy, and gender transitioning policy.
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Contract)
A Cloud Guru, Melbourne – October 2020 to December 2020
A short contract role in which I owned six roles across engineering and design, from sourcing, interviewing, and candidate management to final offer.
- Introduced new tools to the permanent TA team, including Textio and advanced Greenhouse reporting.
- Maintained a warm, empathetic, high-touch approach to candidates in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
Automattic, Remote – February 2018 to February 2020
- Grew the number of engineering hires 81% year on year.
- Increased our candidate volume by 78% year on year.
- Managed a high volume of candidates (over 150 concurrently at the interview stage or later) while providing an excellent candidate experience.
- Built a pipeline of passive candidates around the world through sourcing via multiple channels.
- Used a data-driven approach to decrease time to hire by 80% through identifying efficiencies and improving processes.
- Maintained an offer acceptance rate above 90%.
- Created our How We Hire page to give candidates insight into what to expect from our process.
Lookahead, Melbourne/Remote – April 2016 to February 2018
- Managed multiple concurrent roles for brand-name clients around Australia.
- Grew and maintained a pipeline of active and passive candidates through sourcing, research, attending conferences and meetups, and becoming a trusted advisor within the developer community.
- Built relationships with clients and candidates that extended far beyond placement.
Solution Designer/Informatica Developer
Optus, Sydney/Melbourne – October 2014 to April 2016
Part of a $400 million transformation project across Australia and Singapore to consolidate 80+ legacy systems into one integrated billing and customer care application.
Optus, Melbourne – January 2013 to October 2014
Led a team of high-performing full-stack developers and owned the primary CRM platform for customer operations and retail.
Hotglue, Melbourne – November 2011 to January 2013
Full-stack development of client websites, from simple five-page WordPress sites up to CakePHP/MySQL web applications.
Senior Solution Developer
Optus, Melbourne – August 2007 to November 2011
Full-stack PHP development, stakeholder management and LAMP server maintenance.
- Technical recruitment
- Interviewing (text-only, voice, and video)
- Process improvement
- Data analysis & reporting
- Applicant tracking systems (Greenhouse, Lever, Workable, Google Hire)
- Candidate experience
- Public speaking
- Employer branding
General Member 2016 - 2017 Vice President 2017 - 2017 President 2017 - 2018 Secretary 2020 - Present
Ruby Australia is a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the use and adoption of the Ruby programming language in Australia. Over the years I have served on the association’s committee in various roles, and wrote our current Code of Conduct.
Conference & camp organiser
Meetup host & organiser
I was the co-organiser (and usually host) of the Melbourne Ruby meetup between 2017 and 2019.
📜 Articles and Talks
- Trust, Growth, Inclusion: A Study of Women Engineers’ Job-Search Priorities - a study on senior women in engineering and their approach to seeking new roles. I was part of the research team and conducted interviews for the study.
- A Burning Flame and No Red Tape - an interview with Work180 about Automattic’s D&I efforts. I was interviewed along with my colleague, Anne McCarthy.
- Remote Hiring at Scale - a discussion with Crew Talent Advisory on how to run an efficient, inclusive remote hiring process.
- DevotePress - I was interviewed about remote working during WordCamp Kathmandu in 2019.
- Remote Working - Why You Should (Or Shouldn’t) Embrace It - I gave this talk at WordCamps in Bangkok, Cebu, and Kathmandu in 2019.